Thursday, September 29, 2016

Stick to YOUR Budget this Holiday Season!


The holidays are right around the corner and the stores already have Christmas decorations out! This year, more than ever, I need to make a budget and stick to it. I love gift gifting! My wallet- not so much. I can easily go overboard when I find the "perfect" gift for a family member or friend. Budgeting is nothing new, but I never considered how much to allocate for each present before. This worksheet helped me estimate how much I can afford and will help me ensure I don't go over.

If I get a gift on sale and save money on one individual, then I am able to reallocate that money for an additional gift or individual. Maybe yours looks a little different if you buy for kids, cousins, nieces, neighbors, etc. I grouped my friends and coworkers together and will spend no more that the calculated amount for the whole group. Making gifts, baking cookies, or small items is the perfect way to give without spending more than what you're comfortable with. Writing cards is a perfect way to show appreciation to individuals you might not be able to buy a gift for.

I use Pinterest to save ideas so I'm less likely to make an impulse decision at the store. Etsy is a great website to find unique items at your price-point; you can search for an item and filter by price. I have even purchased great gifts from eBay and Groupon. It's a great way to save but be aware who you're buying from. Read reviews, and if they are international sellers, be aware of long shipping times. If you're up for it, DIY! I made blankets one year and my only cost was fabric (check out the tutorial here). Happy gifting!

The Google Sheet can be viewed here!

No comments:

Post a Comment