Friday, February 15, 2013

DIY Sharpie Mug Alternative


You see the posts all over Pinterest: "DIY Sharpie mug... just write with sharpie, bake, and it stays!" Sounds to good to be true? That's because it is. I tested this method of ceramic design out in an older post and although it looked great, it didn't make it through two cleanings. Water and soap wiped the sharpie right off.

I used ceramics acrylic paint from Michael's as an alternative to the sharpie. It is designed for ceramics and will stay on after being washed (mine has lasted over 2 months with no wear!) The bottles are inexpensive, about $2, and I found cheap ceramics to paint at Target and goodwill.



I also used a stencil to paint the mustache on my bowl

Follow the directions on your paint bottle, but most need to be bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Make sure you place your ceramics in the over before you turn in on so that it warms while the oven is pre-heating. Then, set your timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, turn off your oven but leave the ceramics in there to cool


My sister, Rachel, painted an octopus on her bowl from Target


No comments:

Post a Comment