Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY Monogrammed and Customized Mug

This weekend has been too hot... so to beat the heat I've been working on some creative and cheap crafts for my apartment (I move in in 2 months!). I love cute monograms but buying anything customized online costs too much for my small budget. I saw a tutorial on how to customize ceramics using sharpie and I had to try it. Here is how I monogrammed and customized a mug for the cost of $1.99!


First, I found the mug I liked from Target ($1.99) but you can also use one you already have at home. Using Microsoft Word, I typed up the text I wanted for my mug in the font I downloaded from here. Make sure the font is not too big or too small for your mug! 


After printing the text, cut out a box around the words. On the back of the sheet, color over the printed words with a pencil. This allows for you to trace the words onto your mug . Tape the paper with the text facing you (the penciled side touching the mug) and trace over with the pencil. Like so:




It should look like this once your done tracing!

Draw over the stenciled text with sharpie. Be sure not too smear it while your writing the letters! After you are happy with the sharpie writing, place mug on a cookie or baking sheet and place in the oven. With the mug already in the oven, preheat it to 350 F. Once it is done preheating, let it bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Let mug cool and enjoy your new mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment